Sunday, June 7, 2009

Why are you asking for input?

A small percentage of time I find that when an organization asks for input what they may really mean is the input they want is for you to agree with them. That happened to me recently - and it's not as if I just disliked what I reviewed, I thought it was somewhat offensive. So I'm the bad guy - because I was asked, and answered.

Sometimes there really are only glowing responses to give; but sometimes there aren't.

1. When you ask for input - is it because you want it or because you think you have to ask?
2. If you get negative input - what is your response?
3. What do you think when part of any review group doesn't comment at all - do people really not have an opinion one way or the other, is it easier just to stay way out of something that becomes controversial, or will every group always have a subset of "too busy"?

I do believe most of the time, when people or organizations ask for feedback, they really do mean it - and value it. If you ask for feedback, you should really want it - or don't ask. And if you're asked for feedback - give it. I wonder how many times flawed or bad outcomes happen because it's so much easier to just not ask or to just not say anything?

No comments: