Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gwyneth does what she wants, so can you

People magazine has a headline that poor Gwyneth Paltrow has to "defend" her website where she posts info about diet, her workout, recipes, health topics, things to do. Because that's what she likes writing about, and she thought others might just want to read it. (Good for her!)

A blogger (about TV) who gets thousands of comments on his blog says this about his decision to require registration for comments: "Well, it’s fixed. Wish I would’ve thought of that sooner. Basically, the losers who snipe and just come on boards to curse, you all ... can go somewhere else now, since I know you don’t have the balls to register and post on the site. And If you did, I’d just delete anyway. I’m not doing this because of people countering what I say. I could care less. Hell, go back and look at the comments for the last few weeks. Plenty of you disagree with me, and that’s fine. It was the people today that decided to post the same stuff over and over again, cursing, being ridiculous, and just trying to stir up trouble. The only way to weed them out was to go this route. And I’m glad I did. Ahhhh. This is like a breath of fresh air. Never have to worry about those dolts again .... How I didn’t think of this sooner is beyond me."

Remember that Far Side comic where a sheep stands up with its hooves in the air exclaiming, "We don't have to be just sheep!" Well, we don't ...

1. Your blog and site and can whatever you want it to be.
2. Don't like jerks in your comments section, don't let jerks (or spammers, or marketers, or those wanting to be obscene) in your comments section.

You aren't required to conform in social media any more than you're required to conform in your real life, or in your association. Blog about what you want to blog about (like Gwyneth). If you don't have all the time in the world to be monitoring your own site, then take advantage of the tools that are available to you to make it workable for you - if you want to. Or don't.

Just be authentic. We don't have to be just sheep!

No comments: