There are many ways associations make a difference, and approaches internally and externally towards reducing paper can encourage members to look at what they're doing with paper too.
Just considering paper alone:
1. Electronic directory instead of print directory;
2. E-newsletters instead of print newsletters;
3. Online dues billing instead of mailed invoices;
4. Materials sent in advance by PDF - may never be printed;
5. Limit number of handout pages by instructors; have students print what need;
6. Give committees and board of directors information by email, do not print same material for meeting.
My association is going to post convention course material this year, to print in advance, and then sell copies of the printed handouts in notebooks. Hope it avoids a lot of the waste. Like Ireland, it takes leadership to move change forward, and a population willing to accept it. Can members give up more paper?
Here are more environmentally friendly ideas for associations.