Thursday, November 1, 2007

Someone owes me broccoli and cheese soup

Craving broccoli and cheese soup ... so drove to get. Cashier dressed in medieval outfit said "Fair Lady, what would you like to order" - and couldn't reply "I'd like to order you to not call me Fair Lady" - or would sound like Halloween scrooge instead of fun-loving customer. Yes, it was Halloween. Also saw twenty-something manager dressed like an elf and acting very official with new employee - used business suit tone while in tights. Should anyone be bossed around by an elf? Was so distracted by the Fair Lady and elf situations that accidentally ordered Baked Potato soup.

A classic Dilbert cartoon has employees walking around office in bathrobe, superhero outfit, naked, tutu .. with caption "Casual Day has gone too far" (pic - Amazon) ... but that's exactly the scene in some offices on Halloween. And I don't get it -- is it better or worse to pretend to be what you're dressed like or pretend like you're not in costume and act normal?

If I'd been dressed in costume today, say as a cat, I know it would alter my behavior. I'd slink to the photocopier and meow at people on the phone. If acted normal, would likely feel compelled to say "by the way I'm dressed like a cat" during conference call.

So those of you who dress up for Halloween in the office, do you act professional or act your outfit?
And by the way, whoever came up with Halloween for employees owes me broccoli and cheese soup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! What a great way to start a Friday morning. Found myself teeheeing out loud --- I especially liked the image of the conference call. You may need to add humor columnist to your long list of talents!

Greater Portland Board of REALTORS® said...

Very cute - and can I say I LOVE Halloween. We get 100-150 youngsters begging for candy and it's all adorable. HOWEVER - I do have a few Halloween pet peeves...
1) If you are a teenager in a costume, I'll give you candy but DON'T just put on your football uniform and try to scam sugar.
2) women who "dress up" like ladies of the evening. Fantasize in private, please. The rest of us are laughing AT you, not WITH you.
and 3) all adults who dress up at all. Exception - at a costume party or teachers who work directly with kids. Anyone else ends up looking foolish. I agree with Cindy - I don't think I could answer dues billings questions this week dressed as anything but an AE.