Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I hope the members don't see this ...

All association executives should think about "member perception" about spending, especially in a bad economy. Recently at a group dinner, in a hotel meeting room, I GASPED when the appetizer arrived and it was shrimp cocktail. I even looked at the door to be sure it was closed like I was doing something illegal or unethical, even though I didn't actually order it. My thought: I hope the members don't see this.

The next night another large group went to a pizza place to save money for everyone. It was great, and an alternative for a business dinner (and yes, there are non-carb options nearly everywhere now).

At a recent convention planning meeting we were very aware of what attendees "might think". It's just the way it is now.

No comments: