Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cutting business travel - there's more than cost savings

While reading a press release announcing an executive resignation, it includes this:

"She said in a statement, 'I have devoted most of my energy over the last 16 years to (organization) of which I am most proud to have served. At the same time I have spent most of my life "on the road" and have missed much of what was going on at home with my family and my beautiful grandchildren. While I will miss my many friends and colleagues at (organization), I am eagerly looking forward to spending some time at home and attending all the soccer games and ballet recitals I have missed for years.' "

If you were releasing a statement about you, could it include a similar statement? These times of consolidation and expense-cutting bring opportunity to seriously look at amount of travel. What can be done electronically, what meetings can be consolidated instead of stand-alone, what doesn't need as many nights away? You may find you'll get more than cost savings.

1 comment:

Tony Rossell said...

Very good point. To paraphrase a quote I have often heard, "No one on their death bed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at work'". Tony