Friday, December 7, 2007

Garmin Nuvi 680: Getting there from here

A Maine expression is “you can’t get there from here” … I can’t get anywhere without a GPS. Former GPS died with message it was “dangerously cold” (in Sept.)

With 10 minutes of research easily decided on the Garmin Nuvi 660. Guy at Circuit City talked me into the Garmin Nuvi 680 since it had more memory and on sale – cost $549.

I’m in love. Used on 6-hour drive yesterday.

1. Took minutes to do initial set-up.
2. Size of a Blackberry; and comes with a sleeve to carry around.
3. Sharp images.
4. Shows even minor side street names on display; and also names/says the exit to take.
5. Found satellite for first time in 2 minutes; instantly in car (this was huge issue with my old model that could take 5 or 10 minutes to locate the satellite).
6. Included free year of traffic updates – apparently indicates when traffic jam ahead and gives reroute info.
7. Says other features (I likely won’t use) – like book downloads, bluetooth, mp3.

Wish I knew GPS technology upgraded this much a long time ago …

No comments: