Sunday, May 11, 2008

No, I don't know that ...

In a recent interview with Oprah, singer Tina Turner reveals that after she left Ike there was much she didn't know about life and work .... Her quote: "I released myself. I wasn't intimidated by not knowing. I simply said, 'No, I don't know that.' I was okay with not hiding from it."

Such great advice. With the vast scope of activities and expectations in association management, it's so important not to be intimidated by what you don't know how to do. And being able to admit you don't know can free you into finding out how. If you only do what you know, you'll miss huge opportunities to innovate and learn ... as well as miss opportunities to make mistakes, which also are opportunities to learn.

And since it's Mother's Day I'll add that I believe it's true with parenthood too. I hadn't even picked up a baby in my life before the day I had one. A nurse had to give me instructions on things like how to wash her little baby fuzz hair with a drop of shampoo and I thought OH MY GOD I'm NEVER going to be able to do any of this. Having likely dozens of "I don't know that" moments those first 2 days of her life freed me, and prepared me, for the rest of my life.

As Tina says, don't be intimidated by not knowing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is excellent. I learn new things every day, especially now working in Florida where real estate is so different from Maine. I'm never afraid to say "I don't know, but I will find out."

Flo Vachon
RE/MAX Universal Realty
Sun City Center, FL