Oprah's "Big Give" challenges highlighted fundraising success. What worked for the contestants are actually fundraising basics, often not included as part of fundraising programs:
1. ASK (by voice) those already know for contributions;
2. Make cold calls - don't be afraid to ask for something big;
3. Stories are effective ways to highlight/communicate how use contributions;
4. Use initial money as seed money to grow bigger contributions - consider matching funds;
5. Small things can mean a lot to many - surprising how little can change a life or make a difference.
There's also success stories with social media: Try using your Facebook or other networks too. Make it easy with online contributions, such as PayPal.