Monday, August 27, 2007

What's an Association Exec like You doing on Facebook?

My teenage daughter thinks it's “hilarious” that I joined Facebook. I’m fairly certain it’s going to be mentioned to her friends in the category “my embarrassing mother” instead of using it as an example of my progressiveness.

Why did I join Facebook? Because at ASAE2007 I attended an excellent Learning Lab named “The Situation Room” and learned creative things associations are doing with it. One is setting up a Facebook group for a segment of their state association membership (targeting younger members); another is setting up an “alumni” group for former employees of a national association - as many had gone on to notable positions – and thought it was a good way to stay in touch, recruit, find known talent for projects, etc. Check out this article on the Ohio CPA site. To learn how Facebook can work, I'm trying it.

Got email notification that my first friend request on Facebook was accepted - a colleague in SC (pic). [Note - I assured my daughter she wouldn't have to identify me as a friend.] Are other associations doing anything interesting on Facebook?

2 comments:

GramE Pat said...

I never heard of 'Facebook'. I like the concept.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the comment on my blog.

Also, there is a Facebook Group for the Association Blogoclump. Please join!