Wednesday, April 30, 2008

If you could stand in my shoes ...

There really are people who notice and discuss shoes. Today I wore shoes my daughter got as a gift and comments all day. More shoe talk than I've had .... maybe ever.

Most association executives likely serve on Boards or committees of other groups too. When I'm a volunteer on a committee or Board (and not the paid staff person) I'm sometimes stunned to find what other groups or staff might believe is okay with reporting information in minutes, in handling procedural details, or in accurately reflecting votes.

When we put on volunteer shoes instead of staff shoes, do we remember or forget we've walked many miles as staff and know the right way to do it.

Or to alter famous Bob Dylan
lyrics, if you could stand in my shoes you'd know what a drag it is to see [it].

Walk the walk when you're a volunteer too.

No comments: