Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dangerous Labels

Do you tear the mailing label off the front of magazines when you leave them on an airplane? I always have and end up with a purse full of labels by the time I make it to the hotel in whatever city. Last night as my plane hovered over Chicago O'Hare for an hour bumping and bumping in the air, wondered why am I afraid of a magazine label? Is it a prehistoric identify theft concept or real.

After briefly (as in 3 minutes) investigating online, the (limited) thought is that anything with personally identifiable information could be a risk; and there's a bar code. Apparently the bar code has same info as label. Considering ease of Internet, is there risk someone on a next flight will take that label and do something with it. Like the intrigue of finding a message in a bottle and seeking something more about the person who dropped the bottle? Or does a magazine label on a plane lack that intrigue.

When plane finally got clearance to land in a storm, ultimately decided not to tempt fate and took the label. Do you do that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cindy, thank you for making me feel that I am not the ONLY person in the world that does this. My staff makes fun of me but old habits are hard to stop and now I am comforted in knowing I am in good company.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face this rainy Friday morning.