Monday, December 17, 2007

Forks in the Road

There's likely a time in an association management career (and a life) where you're absolutely going to be at a fork in the road. One of mine was deciding whether to move to an association's DC office, or stay in Chicago. These Dan Fogelberg lyrics (Nether Lands) helped:

"Once in a vision I came on some woods
And stood at a fork in the road
My choices were clear
Yet I froze with the fear
Of not knowing which way to go
One road was simple
Acceptance of life
The other road offered sweet peace
When I made my decision
My vision became my release."

In college (in DC), my roommate and I had tickets to a Dan Fogelberg concert; and weeks before she wrote him a letter saying how much his songs meant in her life, gave our phone number, and said she hoped he'd come to our dorm for dinner. And tells me she signed my name instead of hers. She was sure he'd call, but wanted me to handle it. Every time our phone rang I'd say, "think that's Dan Fogelberg?"

Years later I'm at the fork in the road in Chicago, hear Nether Lands, move back to DC ... which eventually led to Maine.

Dan Fogelberg died today, at age 56 - in Maine, where he owned a home. Until today I had no idea he was here or his battle with cancer. I would have written him a letter. And signed my own name.

Here's Nether Lands on YouTube. And for all men over 40 not having annual prostate exams, read this message from Dan Fogelberg.

No comments: