Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cindy the dinosaur tromps over to MTV

Association planning an ad campaign aimed at the 18-34 demographic. Television buy will include MTV and Bravo shows. Decided to watch MTV to prepare for meeting today with concepts for potential commercials.

Watched MTV's 2nd highest rated program (1st with demographic): "A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila". Final episode has bisexual Tila deciding between a man and a woman (dating reality show). Bikinis, tattoos, bleeped out words, lots of ... I don't even know how to describe it ... um, suggestive kissing, and moments such as having family members of both potential love-partners over and after dinner they take turns pole-dancing (yes, including the mothers who I was calculating were around my age - my official dinosaur moment).

So who is Tila .... She's 26, has 1.7 MILLION friends on MySpace, 50M personal page views, past #1 video download (and song) on iTunes, in numerous magazines, raps, models, blogs ... and I've never heard of her. And I read a lot. I thought. Today I find her in Time Magazine, Washington Post, NY Times ...


Things to think about:
1. When associations want to appeal to members and/or consumers in a younger demographic, are we ready for ... what?
2. Guess how dull the commercials can seem?

3. Is it safe to make really safe choices?

I have a feeling the next few months will get very interesting ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,

Interestingly, started a Second Life site for our association. Announced the first Second Life "meeting" in late January to our members. Within an hour had 12 registrants. During the same hour got one nasty e-mail about wasting dues dollars and one very nasty argument with a truly adored Past President about the benefits (or in his opinion lack thereof) of entering the virtual world as an additional place to reach our members.
I applaud your efforts. I know it can be an interesting journey.

Take care,
Andrea