Monday, December 24, 2007

2 Characteristics of Great AE Quarterbacks

Association Executives are quarterbacks. We plan, we execute, many times we have to win, we have teammates, we need to motivate, we're accountable to others, we prove our worth, and on and on. We're in these positions due to skill and a lot of hard work. So I was fascinated by these comments from New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on a "60 Minutes" interview last night, because it highlights 2 characteristics I've seen in quarterbacks in my own profession I've admired most:

1. an unsettled feeling there's more; and
2. that no matter what the past accomplishments, the biggest and best accomplishment is the one ahead.


When's your next Super Bowl ring?

From Tom Brady interview on "60 Minutes": [verbatim]

But with all [Tom] Brady's fame and career accomplishments, [Steve] Kroft was surprised to hear this from him: “Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, ‘Hey man, this is what is.’ I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think, ‘God, it's got to be more than this.’ I mean this isn't, this can't be what it's all cracked up to be.”

What's the answer?

“I wish I knew. I wish I knew,” says Brady. "I love playing football and I love being quarterback for this team. But at the same time, I think there are a lot of other parts about me that I'm trying to find."

With three Super Bowl rings, he already has Hall of Fame credentials, even if he never played another game. But he's only 30 and just entering his prime.

“Which of the rings do you like the best? What's your favorite ring?” Kroft asks Brady.

My favorite ring? I've always said, you know, I always said the next one. The next one is the best,” Brady says.

No comments: