Did you ever wonder who the Robert is in Robert's Rules of Order? Some trivia (from this source) ...
1. Full name: Henry Martyn Robert (1837-1923)
2. Graduated fourth in his class at West Point. Army Engineer.
3. Embarrassment at losing control of chairing a church meeting led to his study of parliamentary guidance.
4. Found that church rules such as "love and be kind to one another" didn't work; in fact, even added to conflicts.
5. Expected to create a 16-page guide that grew to a 176-page "Pocket Manual".
6. First edition of 4,000 copies printed in 1876 - at his own expense by private publisher.
7. His professional career included engineering oversight of various U.S. waterway/other fortifications. Served as Chief of Engineers in the Army. Retired as a brigadier general.
I once started a parliamentary procedure presentation with a "Guess the Robert" game to see if the class could guess which of three people created Robert's Rules. Those with an engineer in their family often guess the engineer.
Interesting info.Great Blog...I can't help but wonder 'What's next'?
Post a Comment